Children’s exposure to violence
Sadly, hardly a day goes by without news of violent acts involving children. As a parent, you may be struggling with how to help your child feel safe. One of the most important things you can do for your child is to first take care of yourself.
You are your child’s primary source of safety
It is important to remember that children look to their parents and other trusted adults to make them feel safe. They turn to us for assurance that they are secure as well as for information, comfort, and support.
Take care of yourself first so you can be there for your child
Feelings of anxiety, fear, and worry about the safety of self and others are natural responses. In order to be effective and present for your children, it is imperative that you find the means and tools to take care of yourself emotionally, as well as physically.
Once you are able to harness your own feelings of safety within yourself, you are more easily able to transmit those feelings of safety to your children.
What does taking care of yourself mean?
- Talk to other trusted adults who can be sensitive to your needs and help you regain your feelings of safety. Counting on the support of relatives, family, and community helpers can make difficult times more manageable.
- Talk to a counselor if you need it. They can serve as a non-judgmental sounding board and can provide you with useful skills to help reduce your feelings of overwhelm.
- Engage in self-care activities, such as going for walks, enjoying your favorite yoga class, and other activities that bring calm and normalcy back into your days.
- Do your best to drink plenty of water, eat regularly, and get enough sleep and exercise. Avoid alcohol and other mood-altering substances as these can make matters worse.
- Give yourself a break. Take time to find fun and do the things that you like to do.
Unemployed or uninsured?
Don’t worry. Vecino Health Centers offers financial assistance so everyone in your family can get the medical, counseling, and dental services they need. You may even qualify for other benefits, we’ll help you understand your options.
Just ask about our Get Care program